Rabbi Emeritus Albert Lewis z"l
Rabbi Albert L. Lewis was a graduate of Yeshiva College, received an MS from City College of New York and an MA and Honorary Doctorate from the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He was ordained by the Seminary.
In 1948, Rabbi Lewis became spiritual leader of a 50-family congregation Ė Temple Beth Sholom in Haddon Heights, New Jersey. When he retired in 1992, four years after TBS relocated to Cherry Hill, his congregation numbered 1000 families.
During his 44 year tenure at Temple Beth Sholom, Rabbi Lewis served as vice president of the World Council of Synagogues and president of the International Rabbinical Assembly. He led the first USY pilgrimage to Israel in 1956. An inspirational orator, he lectured in homiletics for 10 years at the Seminary.
Albert Lewis served as correspondent for The Catholic Star Herald newspaper. His articles have been published in the Encyclopedia Judaica, as well as several leading Jewish newspapers. He has written two books, So It Isnít Perfect and Whatís Your Glory?
As a congregational rabbi, he took an active part in communal affairs, serving on the board of the Bureau of Jewish Education and as president of the Tri-County Board of Rabbis. Together with Rabbi Max Weine, he founded Midrashah and the Inter Congregation Hebrew High School.
Rabbi Lewis offered pastoral care until the last day of his life, including the hospital nurses and technicians who could come and ask for his blessing.
Best-selling author and TBS alumnus Mitch Albom featured Rabbi Lewis in his recent book "Have a Little Faith."